UPDATE: Additional information added below on 3/10/16. See #4 and #5
We are all set for #SELF2016. We will once again be returning to the Sheraton Charlotte Airport on the second weekend in June from the 10th through the 12th. Our room block at the hotel is open, and the rate is $102/ni including free wifi, free shuttle to/from Charlotte-Douglas International, and free onsite parking. Our call for speakers and sponsors is open, and our propaganda has been updated so you can help spread the word!
Some changes for this year’s SELF:
1) The craft beer bottle share has become very successful and popular. As a result, we will no longer have an official party in the hotel bar unless a sponsor picks up the pre-party. Instead, the conference party will be the craft beer bottle share. But we’ll be having more than just beer now. We’ll include a selection of wines and liquor made in the deep south as well. You can still get in for free if you’re a speaker, a sponsor, a volunteer, or your brought some to share. But if a sponsor picks up the party, it will become open to the public, and the people in the previous special groups will get in before the general public.
2) The Geeks With Guns event was very successful and popular. As a result, we will roll the event into registration (including paying the cost of your range time at registration). You’ll still be on your own for ammo and firearm rental if you do not bring your own, though several people shared their firearms with others, particularly those who flew in and didn’t want to deal with the hassle of checking firearms when flying.
3) For the first time in several years, BSidesCLT will not be part of SELF. The BSides organizers have decided to go their own way, and we wish them the best of luck in having many more successful events.
4) On Thursday evening before SELF there will be a photography crawl featuring nice photogenic locations near the hotel. Exact details are TBD, but expect to visit places like the UNC Charlotte Botanical Gardens, Charlotte-Douglas Int’l Airport Overlook Park, Romare Bearden Park, and Freedom Park. Special thanks to JT Pennington for assisting with this event.
5) There will be on Friday and Saturday a “fiber” track at SELF. The ad-hoc knitting groups in the hallway were surprisingly popular, and so we’ll have dedicated space for those interested this year. Special thanks to Carrie Stokes, Nicole Tobias, and Cathy Williams for helping with this event. A quick summary for those curious:
“Does your need for down time away from the computer lead you to the thrill of fiber arts? Do you want to learn to knit, read a knitting pattern, learn knitting lace and blocking techniques? If so then SELF has a new track for your open source fiber needs! Come share with us and learn some new techniques. Drive with us Friday to the beautiful art town of Ashville NC for a yarn crawl. Don’t miss this chance to make new friends and replenish your stash! On Saturday and Sunday join us for two fun days of learning new skills and sharing fiber experience. Class kits for two of the projects will be for sale on site. The kits and supplies will be made available by Charlotte Yarns, a local yarn store.”
Stay tuned for more news and updates (the best way is to join our low traffic announce only mailing list if you haven’t already). Quick relevant links: