IMPORTANT NOTE: Some side events such as Geeks With Guns are presented as add-on items to your order. Be sure to review the add-on items before checking out!
MAJOR CHANGES FROM PREVIOUS YEARS:
– We are simplifying the registration greatly by reducing the number of registration types to just two: Free Attendee and Supporting Attendee. Free attendee includes free attendees (duh) as well as .edu/.org sponsors. Supporting Attendee includes those who chose the optional pay attendee option as well as Bronze or higher sponsors, volunteers, staff, and speakers. So from here forward when we say “free attendee” or “supporting attendee” … we’re referring to ALL those subgroups collectively.
– We are bringing in food trucks for lunch all three days. As such, we are lowering the cost of supporting attendee but removing the provided lunch from it. We have never been interested in managing lunch delivery. SELF organized lunches as a concession that there isn’t a ton of food options really close to the hotel and the hotel’s restaurant and bar cannot handle our full crowd on a one hour turn around. We have come to an arrangement with the hotel that will allow for food trucks on site right outside the convention space.
– Geeks with guns is twice the price but includes more than 100 rounds of ammo to use in almost a half dozen special firearms we are bringing to range.
– We are selling a “remote attendee” option for very cheap that will allow you to stream all the talks live or on a very minimal delay. We will still release videos of all the talks publicly to YouTube as usual, but there will be a deliberate delay of several months in releasing those videos. This is because we strongly want to encourage people to attend the event in person. The “hallway track” at SELF is tremendously valuable. And every single person who attends contributes to that hallway track, even if they attend for free. So this is a compromise between making all of the content available for free to everyone as quickly as possible and rewarding those who are making the event better (and yes, we really mean it, simply attending is contributing!)
– This year supporting attendees get priority seating at the LAN Party and EXCLUSIVE access to a top shelf tasting as part of the Friday Party sponsored by Linode.
SPECIAL THINGS ONLY AVAILABLE THIS YEAR FOR SELF’S 10TH ANNIVERSARY:
– Book of Knowledge: Easel binder with custom SELF branded cheat sheets for programming languages, markups, editors, distros, and more. Included for free with any supporting registration. Not sold separately.
– SELF Sticker Sheet: 8.5 x 11″ high quality sheet full of SELF related stickers. Included for free with any supporting registration. Not sold separately.
– SELF Lanyard: Custom color high end lanyard. Included for free with any supporting registration. Not sold separately.
Events that are part of the SouthEast LinuxFest 10th Anniversary year:
– Free To Attend:
— Vehicle rally on The Tail of the Dragon and Blue Ridge Parkway (Thursday; add-on item, please add to your cart as part of registration)
— Ask Noah will be doing a special live broadcast from SELF in the expo hall (Fri-Sun)
— The Internet Civil Engineering Institute will hold their annual meeting as part of SELF (Fri-Sun)
— By popular demand the Fiber Track will RETURN to SELF 2018 (Fri-Sun; Free with any registration, kits for sale on site at the event, add-on item, please add to your cart as part of registration)
— Amateur (“Ham”) Radio Exam Cram (Friday night; add-on item, please add to your cart as part of registration)
— Zero To DBA Talk Track (Friday/Saturday)
— Friday Night Party Sponsored by Linode (Friday night; Supporting attendees get in one hour early and have a top shelf tasting as well! Our party features a selection of small batch local brew, wine, and liquor from throughout the southeast. If you are willing to bring something from your neck of the woods to share you can get in early like a supporting attendee!)
— /dev/random Talk Track (Saturday)
— Amateur (“Ham”) Radio Testing (Saturday evening; add-on item, please add to your cart as part of registration)
— LAN Party (Saturday night; BYOC, Games: Garry’s Mod (Prop Hunt), Team Fortress 2, More TBA, add-on item, please add to your cart as part of registration)
— GPG Key Signing (Saturday night; add-on item, please add to your cart as part of registration)
— Attendee Raffle (Saturday evening; Before keynote, being a registered attendee automatically enters you to win, various giveaways including books)
— At least one and most likely two major FOSS projects will be doing bug bounties at SELF (you fix bugs, you get cold hard cash). We will not announce ahead of time what those bug bounties are to assure a fair playing field at the beginning.
– Non-Free As In Beer:
— Geeks With Guns (Friday night; $140, limited availability, first come first serve, includes literally 100’s of rounds to use in special equipment we’re bringing, add-on item, please add to your cart as part of registration)
— Linux Workstation Computer Raffle Sponsored by PogoLinux (Saturday evening; Shortly before keynote, raffle entries not free, see registration to enter, all proceeds benefit the SouthEast LinuxFest)
— FreeNAS Mini with Hard Drives Raffle Sponsored by iXSystems (Tentative pending sign off, Saturday evening; Shortly before keynote, raffle entries not free, see registration to enter, all proceeds benefit the SouthEast LinuxFest)
— Saturday Night Party (Saturday night; As of right now this party is not sponsored, as so will only be open to supporting attendees and those who bring some to share)
– Restricted Access:
— Speaker BBQ Dinner (Friday night; Only available to select sponsors, staff, volunteers, and speakers)
SELF redirects to a secured final checkout through PayPal to finish all non-zero orders. If you do not wish to use PayPal, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
With that small novel of highly useful and important information out of the way … Register to attend!